Commercial casino gambling hits new record in 2022


According to the American Gaming Association’s Commercial Gaming Revenue Tracker, commercial gaming revenue in the United States reached an annual record of $60.4 billion in 2022.

This marks the first $60 billion year for the commercial gaming industry, surpassing the previous $53.0 billion set in 2021.

The year was punctuated by all-time highest quarterly gaming business revenue of nearly $15.9 billion in the fourth quarter of 2022. Sports betting and online casino gambling set highs by a single quarter, while traditional gambling grew 1.7% year over year.

“Our industry significantly exceeded expectations in 2022,” he said AG extension President and CEO Bill Miller. “Simply put, American adults are choosing casino games for entertainment in record numbers, benefiting communities and taking market share away from the predatory and illegal marketplace.”

The sector continues to diversify offerings, with retail gaming accounting for 80.5% of total revenue and online gaming making up the remaining 19.5%, marking a new high.

According to AG extension84 million American adults, or 34 percent of the adult population, visited a casino in the past year, including new markets in Nebraska and Virginia. Table games revenue saw a substantial increase, up 13.9% year-over-year, while slot machines showed year-over-year growth of 5.1%.

In 2022, the continued growth of the regulated sports betting market has led to new records in revenue ($93.2B) and sports betting ($7.5B). This growth was fueled in part by Kansas operationalizing retail and mobile sports betting, and the launch of mobile sports betting in Louisiana, Maryland and New York.

According to AG extensionOnline casino revenue grew 35.2% year over year to $5.0 billion in the limited number of legal iGaming states.

In 2022, the Las Vegas Strip and Atlantic City maintained their top commercial market positions. The Baltimore-Washington, DC market reclaimed its position as the third largest gambling market in the nation, overtaking Chicagoland (fourth) and Mississippi Gulf Coast (fifth), who round out the top five.

“Even as we navigate macroeconomic headwinds, I’m optimistic about the year ahead,” Miller continued. “To carry our momentum into 2023, the AG extension remains focused on fighting the illegal market, doubling responsibilities and creating favorable political and regulatory conditions that enable the lasting success of our sector”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *